the Greek god of wine, festivity, fruitfulness, and vegetation, worshipped in orgiastic rites. He was also known as the bestower of ecstasy and god of the drama. A resurection god. Literature describes him as womanly or “man-womanish”. He has been known to be drawn in a chariot, usually by exotic beasts such as lions or tigers.
Dionysus is represented by city religions as the protector of those who do not belong to conventional society and thus symbolizes everything which is chaotic, dangerous and unexpected, everything which escapes human reason and which can only be attributed to the unforeseeable action of the gods.
He is also the Liberator (Eleutherios), whose wine, music and ecstatic dance frees his followers from self-conscious fear and care, and subverts the oppressive restraints of the powerful.
- halcyonspfenix likes this
- thetully reblogged this from narcissusheart
- thetully likes this
- ginandjack likes this
- vesemup likes this
- gayosiris-haus-o-ass likes this
- theblackqueermaenad likes this
- pfowolf likes this
- d10ny505 reblogged this from narcissusheart and added:
- d10ny505 likes this
- satyrbuddy likes this
- artsysatyr reblogged this from narcissusheart
- leehramos reblogged this from narcissusheart and added:
- narcissusheart posted this